Tse Si Ani (Lupton), Arizona has been inhabited on intermittent basis for over two Centuries. It has been known as a travel and trade center since that time. Prior to Fort Sumner, New Mexico, it was a central point of departure for military expeditions and for supply routes.
Tse Si Ani Chapter is bounded on the east by the state of New Mexico, on the south, by a boundary established some miles north of Jones Ranch, and on the west by Allentown “Indian” stores. The northern border has always been in dispute, but is generally accepted to be the south rim of Black Creek Canyon.
In the Navajo language, Lupton is know as Tse Si Ani (Setting Rock) and Tsedijooli (Round Rock). There are spectacular sandstone cliffs that encompass the ‘Helena ‘Canyon, which meets the deep arroyos of the Rio Puerco.
The trading posts at Tse Si Ani were first established during the decade following the return from Fort Sumner. The First trader in Lupton was G.W. Lupton (Trainmaster) who named his store for himself. Eventually, the English name for the area was coined for this individual. The trading posts were popular and by 1905, had a clientele from as far away as Oak Spring, Manuelito, and had cut into the profitable business of J.D. Houck to the west.